Sunday, July 12, 2009

Personal learning networks

I feel my problem might be that i'm a lurker. i like to hang around websites you contribute to and simply read, watch, it is sort of against my personality to throw my thoughts out there. not quite sure why that is.

what this is doing is creating a wierd situation where i don't feel comfortable contributing to the network, although at this point i'm not quite sure if i have anything valuable to add, so i'm more then just a lurker i'm a mooch.

what is different is at work, in my real world personal learning networks i feel like more of a contributor, and i can't quite seem to isolate why that is. the power of the internet, web 2.0 and these personal learning networks is obvious, but our personalities will always dictate how we truly benefit.

perhaps another consideration is the twitter format, i'm not really feeling it that much, it is hard to get in the habit of checking it regularly, and i don't know why i check my email regularly. and have plenty of other habits.

although maybe it is just a struggle with new habits, i notice that i've added a number of the websites i read daily to my google reader account, but instead of using that consistently i still go to each website separately.

so maybe the issue is the simple challenge of breaking old habits.

well then, perhaps writing out a blog entry has helped me reason through my challenge.

2 comments:

  1. As I read different posts I find that we are all learning about ourselves as learners. some of us get new material in class and run, others jump in, others lurk. I appreciate your honesty. I am feeling like you that I have old habits that I can't break. I too go to individual blogs without using google reader. Crazy when that would save me time(and this summer I don't it to waste) These are all good insights we can take back into the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not alone! I was completely against using Twitter prior to this class and I am still struggling with it - even though I am an avid Facebook user, although I think that part of the attraction is that you can simply "observe" the actions of others without necessarily having to add your own.

    From a personal growth standpoint and I think for many in my own age group and above (generation X-Baby Boomer) that I am one of the least resistant to new technologies and uses, however I still find myself at a loss to the amount of time it takes me to learn and develop each new format.

    I'd like to be able to learn new formats without spending as much time getting lost, getting side tracked, adn missing out in general! At the same time, my students, younger family members, and my own son are racing circles around everything I try to do!! That's part of the reason I think it's important to keep learning, despite the time and frustrations. If we are not able to follow (at the very least), we will not be able to prepare the next generation for what will be expected of them.

    ReplyDelete